Questions come from all sizes

Watertown student reporters interview US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren on the campaign trail

US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren (center) poses on the Town Hall steps with credentialed student reporters
from Watertown school newspapers during a campaign stop on Sept. 22, 2012.

US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren (center) poses on the Town Hall steps with credentialed student reporters from Watertown school newspapers during a campaign stop on Sept. 22, 2012.

The crowd was buzzing, buying snacks, riding rides, and dunking people at the dunk tank booth.

It was Sept. 22, the day of the Faire on the Square in Watertown, Mass., and there were all sorts of interesting people in Saltonstall Park around Town Hall.

There were clowns, a man named Simon who walked around and challenged kids to a classic game of Simon Says, and US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren.

Wearing a white shirt with a pink cardigan and black dress pants, she scheduled a stop so that student reporters from Watertown could interview her on the Town Hall steps.

A person from her campaign gave the reporters special press passes. Ms. Warren was enthusiastic, and she seemed like she wanted to hear the reporters’ questions. She really listened to all of the kids and made everyone feel very comfortable. She gave thoughtful answers to all of the questions.

Jeremy, a seventh-grader from the middle school, asked about how she would help kids like him.

Ms. Warren responded, “I think the way we improve education is that we increase resources that go into it and we make sure that teachers and parents and kids all work together to develop good education plans.”

One student asked, “If you are elected senator, what policies will you fight for to improve the quality of education in Massachusetts?”

She said, “If elected senator, I will hire more teachers so more children can learn and I will make sure students get the help they need when they are ready to go to college.”

Another student asked what policies she would make or change.

“One of the policies is to get kids prepared for college and advanced technical training, because I believe that instead of investing in oil companies that we should be investing in education. I think that’s how we build the future,’’ she said. “For me, it’s all about our priorities.”

She was asked if she ever thought she was ever going to end up running for a spot in the US Senate?

“Never, not until a little over a year ago,” she said.

She said she always wanted to become a teacher. She said her second-grade teacher, Miss Lee, had inspired her to be a teacher.

She started teaching in elementary school and is now teaching at Harvard.

She said what inspired to run for office for the first time was “because I thought I could make a real difference.”

“I’ve been investing in the future by teaching, and by fighting for working families, and running for the Senate is how I’m choosing to do it.”

Another student asked if she had any pets, and she said, “I do! I have a dog named Otis, and he’s about your height and he
drools a lot.”

Ms. Warren ended her interview with advice for high school students: “Work hard, study hard, and make smart choices about college.”

–Nov. 5, 2012–